An ordinary boxed cake mix can be extraordinary with this easy recipe. Any brand of devil’s food cake mix can be used.
Solid vegetable shortening for greasing the pans
Flour for dusting the pans
1 box plain devil’s food cake mix or devil’s food cake mix with pudding
2 packets or scoops of Holy Chocolate
4 tablespoon hot water
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously grease two 9-inch round cake pans with solid vegetable shortening, then dust with flour. Shake out the excess flour. Set the pans aside.
- Mix the hot water and the Holy Chocolate, creating a syrup, and let stand for a few minutes.
- Place the cake mix, Holy Chocolate syrup, buttermilk, oil, eggs, and vanilla in a large mixing bowl. Blend with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Scrape the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the blender speed to medium and beat 2 minutes more, scraping down the sides as needed. Divide the batter between the prepared pans, and place side by side in the oven.
- Bake until the cakes spring back when lightly pressed, 28 to 30 minutes. Remove the pans from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Run a dinner knife around the edge of the cake, and invert each cake onto a rack, then onto another rack so the cake is right-side up. Allow to completely cool, about 30 minutes.
- Frost with your preferred frosting. We recommend the Holy Chocolate Buttercream Frosting or the Holy Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting.